Monday, March 22, 2010

T.R.L. Trout That Doesn't Suck

Thank you to everyone who emailed me with your food requests. I enjoyed learning what makes your mouth water. I wish I could make every dish that was requested, but there is only enough money for one. This week's T.R.L. writes:


Hi Dave. John here from Bern, Switzerland (Neurolux poster !! or William Tell!!) I want trout that doesn't suck. I want it to be healthy too--not breaded and fried with a bunch of mayonaise/crap sauce. I don't mind sauce and sides and flavor enhancers and foo foo garnish and mind tricks to make me think it's better than it really is (that stuff works on me), but I do want to eat healthy. Maybe something that utilizes fresh fruit or veg, an open fire, perhaps a can of beer? Served with a flair of course...

Cheers!!


Hi John, thanks for your request. I am going to teach you how to make trout with some healthy sides and no mind tricks. You can make the fish over a flame/grill or atop a stove. I will be using a stove but either method works great. You need to use citrus to cut through the fat and oils in the fish. I mixed it up and used blood oranges. Also, fresh herbs will give the trout another flavor element. Follow these directions liberally, drink whatever makes you giggle, and enjoy. I feed you, you feedback.    








Ingredients:
-Beets
-Blood Oragnes
-Carrots
-Fresh Herb (Rosemary)
-Butter
-Olive Oil
-Trout


Glazed Carrots & Beets *Cooks in 25-30min
1. Start by peeling the carrots and the beets. Now chop into cubes or similar shapes and sizes. Place into a deep backing sheet and add a drizzle with olive oil, add a pinch of salt and cracked pepper.
2. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 min or until the pieces start to brown on the edges.
3. Remove from oven and place in a sauce pan on the stove top with a pad of butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar.  
4. Turn the heat to med-high mixing the brown sugar into the vegetables until glazed. Place over fish for presentation.
5. Make sauce in this same pan now to incorporate the side dish with the trout. DON'T WASH IT OUT THERES LEFTOVER GLAZE IN THERE!

Blood Orange Sauce *Cooks in 5-7 minutes
1. In the saucepan above, add the juice of a couple blood oranges, a pad of butter and a sprig of fresh rosemary.
2. Reduce down by bringing everything to a gentle boil and whisking the sauce for a minute or so.
3. Spoon sauce over trout.

Pan Seared Trout *Cooks in 5-7 minutes
1. Drizzle olive oil on trout and add a pinch of salt a pepper.
2. Heat a saute pan to med-high and add a splash of olive oil to coat the pan. 
3. Place trout in the pan, skin side down, and cook until skin is browned and crunchy. Flip trout and cook on other side for one more min to sear.
4. Plate Fish on bottom, glazed root vegetables across the fish and sauce over the top. Garnish with rosemary and blood orange segments.

10 comments:

  1. Wish you all could have tasted it. We made seconds when the shoot was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good, and I usually hate beets. I love being the person in the audience who gets to taste all of the food

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your best one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice vid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched your video. I usually hate trout because of the smell. I never knew that it isn't supposed to smell horrible if it is a good piece o' fish. I must have been using crap fish. Thanks for the lesson. This meal looks amazing. I want to try it. Where should I get the trout if I don't catch it myself? I live in Boise too so you can specific. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fred Meyers has a pretty decent seafood selection. I have never bought trout there though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish there was a way to sample your food. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reel Foods Fish Market sells trout and it is delicious. I should know:) Looks good Dave! Good job starting with quality ingredients. Hehehe:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. I may have to try that. I usually just fry them in bacon grease... yum yum!

    ReplyDelete